26 Lessons from a Rookie Backpacker after three weeks in Europe

Views of Edinburgh from Arthur's Seat

I've finally arrived back at Warwick after my first European backpacking adventure! After backpacking for three weeks, there are definitely things that I have learnt along the way. I know that three weeks isn't a particularly long time but 11 cities in 22 days is no easy feat for a backpacking beginner. I've come back with the desire to travel more, to see more of the world, to experience more cultures and to meet more people. I can't even put into words the experiences that I have had during these short three weeks. This experience has given me a newfound confidence in myself and in what I can achieve and endure.


I've tried compiling a list of things that I have learnt based off my experiences during this trip. This post is a little long but I promise, it's worth the read.

1. PACK LIGHT, EXCEPT FOR YOUR WALLET

I can't stress this enough! I know this practically backpacking folklore but it’s true, you won't use half the stuff you pack. Don't pack 5 extra shirts "just in case". Trust me, your back will thank you for it. Don’t skimp on underwear though. NEVER skimp on underwear.

Do, however, have more cash (even on a card) than you think you’ll spend. You never know when you’ll be caught in a situation where you’ll be spending unexpected amounts of money. Who knows, you could accidentally screw up your Turkey visa application and have to pay for a new one at the border.

2. HOSTELS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE NICE

If you want to backpack with a budget, you can't expect to be staying in 5 star hotels. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss and it's best not to scrutinise your hostel too much. I would have definitely had a better night sleep if I hadn't noticed the bit of mould growing on the edge of my bed sheets. If I hadn't looked, I would have slept like a baby and gone home none the wiser. Tip: bring a sleeping bag liner to sleep in at hostels, then you don’t have to make contact with said mould.

3. BRING A PEN

I always fail to follow this piece of advice and always find myself cursing at past Tash. Whether it's to fill out customs forms, write down people’s suggestions for places to visit or to mark down locations and routes on a map, a pen is something that is indispensable.

4. STRANGER DANGER IS (PARTLY) A LIE

When backpacking, you meet so many different people from all over the world and you'll realise the true kindness of strangers. You might even encounter one who’s willing to sacrifice their whole day to show you around their city.

5. WATCH FOR PICKPOCKETS

Unfortunately, not everyone in the world is good and pickpockets do exist. Especially as a tourist and backpacker, the risk of being pick pocketed can be quite high. We unfortunately learnt this the hard way. The rule of thumb is to not keep anything in your back pockets.

6. BE ORGANISED, BE EARLY AND ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP PLAN

Being stranded in Downtown Fira, Santorini at 5.30am with a flight at 7am because the cab you ordered never turned up is somewhere you never want to be. Said situation is made worse when the taxi rank is empty and your hostel's reception only opens at 7am...

7. CHARGE WHEN YOU CAN

Being stuck on a 6 hour train ride from Berlin to Prague with a dead phone and no music sucks.

8. BRING ALONG A MINI PHARMACY

Getting sharp stomach pains and feeling like you’re being knifed after eating some questionable salami from a market in Budapest is no fun. Almost having to be physically carried back to the hostel because of the pain isn't great either. Luckily, some paracetamol can make you better instantly and ready to face anything, even a beer bike.

9. ALWAYS HAVE SOME COINAGE ON YOU

Coins always come in handy. You’ll regret not having some loose change when you’re forced to pay to use a public bathroom. So much for basic human right…

10. DRESS APPROPRIATELY FOR THE DAY'S PLANS

When you plan to do some hiking, wear sensible shoes. When you plan to go to a mosque, don't wear shorts. When backpacking through Europe, wear Nike Roshe Runs every day. They might not go with every outfit but your feet with be thanking you. Mine sure were.

11. THERE'S NO BETTER WAY TO KNOW A CITY THAT TO IMMERSE YOURSELF AND WANDER

Some of my fondest memories from this trip were times where we simply wandered through the streets of a city, getting lost with no set plans or final destination. Straying from the typical tourist itinerary and taking the path off the beaten road lets you see a city for what it truly is and can lead to you stumbling upon hidden gems.

12. PREPARE TO WEAR THE SAME CLOTHES AGAIN AND AGAIN

Living out of a 33L backpack for three weeks isn’t easy, especially when you’re going across different climates. The sniff test is your best friend. If it doesn't smell, it's still good…

13. TRY LOCAL CUISINES

No matter how questionable something looks, if the locals like it then chances are you will too. Who knows, you could end up discovering your new favourite meal. All I have to say is that currywurst is damn good. Street food is also a godsend. Not only is it cheap but most of the time, it’s delicious. I still dream about Prague's street food.

14. WRITE THINGS DOWN

Traveling, especially in such a fast-paced manner, can be overwhelming. I’d forget what city I was in at times because I had been to so many places. I found myself forgetting what I had done even the day before so I wrote a daily summary every day just so I wouldn’t forget the amazing things that I had experienced.

15. DON'T BE AFRAID TO BREAK THE RULES

One of my biggest regrets of this trip is not jumping the fence into an abandoned theme park in Berlin. To be fair, we had been walking for hours and some of us were sick and injured and definitely not in the state to pull ourselves over a three metre high fence. However, I can't stop thinking about the cool things that I would have seen in there. Sometimes, you just have to break the rules (law even?) and jump.

16. DON'T FORGET TO TREAT YOURSELF

Sometimes, the littlest things bring you the most joy. While in Prague, stopping for the best hot chocolate that I'd tasted in my life (and sneaking back there for a second one at the end of the day) is one of my fondest memories from this trip.

17. MOTHER NATURE WON’T ALWAYS BE ON YOUR SIDE

Walking home in the downpour of rain each day on the inclined streets of Istanbul with an injured knee wasn’t easy. Neither was exploring Zurich when it rained on and off all day, with a bit of snow thrown in too. It’s easy to let bad weather ruin your trip but I’ve learned to embrace it. It makes for a good story to tell if anything.

18. LEARN TO LET THINGS GO

Things won’t always go to plan but you can’t let them damper your trip. Being charged 23% commission when exchanging money in Prague was painful but it was a mistake made and a lesson learnt. Sulking and complaining won’t change anything.

19. NOT EVERYONE HAS THE SAME TRAVEL PREFERENCES

Some people love museums, some people don’t. Some people like fast-paced travel, some people don’t. Sometimes you’ll want to go somewhere that the others don’t. I’ve realised that it’s important to do what you want to do when traveling to make the most out of your experience, even if that means straying from others. There’s no way I’m stepping foot into a museum or art gallery unless it’s to see the Mona Lisa…

20. DON’T TURN DOWN OPPORTUNITIES

When you’re asked if you want to be on the guest list for the most exclusive and expensive club in Istanbul that’s on the penthouse level of a 19-storey building with panoramic views of the whole city, you say YES. Just be prepared for the fact that coat check costs ten Australian dollars…

21. DO THINGS THAT YOU WOULD REGRET NOT DOING

“I’ve heard that the bar crawls in Prague are supposed to be legendary!” It was the night before we were supposed to leave for Budapest from Prague and I was firmly against going out on a bar crawl because I wanted to function right the next morning. I'm so glad that I got coerced into it.

22. DON’T LET MONEY HOLD YOU BACK

My dad gave me some good advice before I started my travels. He told me that being frugal is smart but at the same time, you make money to spend it. He told me not to hesitate (too much) when spending money during this trip because it was important to get the most out of my experience. He said that he would rather me spend all of my money now and go home broke than be frugal and go home with regrets of things I didn’t do or food I didn’t try. I can always make the money back but I might not get the opportunities again.

23. TRAVEL WITH FRIENDS

Not only will this be economically beneficial (booking shared accommodation, etc), traveling with someone is the best way to grow closer to them. I feel so much closer to the people I traveled with than I did at the beginning of the trip. The crazy thing is, we had only known each other for two weeks when we booked all of this! It's also great to have people to relive the experiences with because they went through it with you.

24. PREPARE TO SEE NUMEROUS CHURCHES

I can’t even begin to count the number of churches I have seen during my time in Europe.

25. REMEMBER TO STOP AND LIVE IN THE MOMENT

I’d often find myself in awe of where I was or what I was doing. When traveling, you’ll encounter special moments that are just so surreal and it’s important to stop and appreciate them so you remember how you felt at the time. The emotions that you feel during the smallest things like sitting at the edge of Santorini overlooking the sunset or stargazing out the top of the Reichstag can be easily forgotten if you don’t live in the moment. Sometimes, you don’t realise how great a moment is until it’s a memory.

26. AIRPORT SECURITY BLOWS

I’ve spent so much time at airports during the past three weeks that I’m ready to never see an airport ever again in my life. The makeup brushes at the very bottom of my bag are no threat to this airport. Thanks for making me unpack and repack everything. Dick.

The next few weeks are going to be extremely busy for me. I have assignments due and exams coming up so my blog posts might not be frequent but I'll be trying my best to post about every city I visited. However, after living such a fast-paced lifestyle for the past three weeks, it's so nice to be able to sit back and do absolutely nothing for hours on end. I'm not particularly itching to write up blog posts or edit photos immediately, I'm really just enjoying doing a whole lot of nothing right now.

I apologise for the long post. I got a bit carried away. Writing this post actually helped me a lot in reflecting over my trip and has made me appreciate even more the experiences that I have had. This trip was only three weeks. I can’t wait until July, where I’ll be traveling for eight weeks with my two friends from home. Imagine the things I’ll be learning then!

0 comments:

Post a Comment