My first solo travelling experience


I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I've arrived safely at Warwick! After a long and lonely 29 hour journey and with four bags in tow, I've finally reached my new home for the next 6 months. I've never traveled completely alone before so this experience was quite daunting for me but I've made it! I did learn a few things on the way though.



TRAVELLING ALONE SUCKS

Travelling alone is lonely. You don't have anyone familiar with you to talk to. You don't have anyone to look after your carry on luggage at the airport when you need to use the bathroom. You get stuck sitting next to complete strangers on the plane who take up the whole arm rest. You have no one to express your excitement, fear or nerves with. It just plain sucks.



RESEARCH SEAT SELECTION EARLY

I learnt the hard way that Emirates opens and closes seat selection before online check in is available. I had just assumed that I would get to choose my seat when checking in online but to my horror, I discovered that I was allocated to seat 24E, the middle seat in the middle row, and I couldn't change out of it. Worst seat possible...

CHARGE YOUR DEVICES BEFORE YOU GO


I was left stranded in Dubai airport for a three hour stop over with 10% on my phone and 30% on my laptop. So many ragrets...


BE READY TO CRY


I had always thought that I wouldn’t cry when saying bye to my parents and friends at the airport but damn was I wrong. I was close to tears all day leading up to it and bawled my eyes out at the gate. I was still crying as I walked through departures and was chosen for a random explosives test. I had to try and unzip my bags for them while my eyes were drowning in tears! Can confirm that that was one of my more embarrassing moments..


HIDDEN STOPOVERS ARE A BLESSING IN DISGUISE


I had a half an hour one in Singapore on the way to Dubai from Melbourne and it was so good to get off the plane and stretch my legs out. Another bonus was that I didn’t end up spending New Years on the plane but in Singapore Airport instead! Still not ideal but a little better...


DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP


Sometimes, you just have to go out of your comfort zone and ask a stranger for help. I was lucky enough to (kind of) befriend the man sitting next to me during my Melbourne to Dubai flight. He helped me with my carry on luggage numerous times which was awesome. I also managed to make my first friend at Warwick! Funnily enough, it wasn't at uni but on the train. Without him I'm not sure how I would have managed with everything.


I've had people message me goodbye and it really warms my heart to know that I'm still in your thoughts even though I'm gone for so long. It makes it that much easier knowing that everyone at home is rooting for me to do well and shine here. I'm excited but nervous for what's to come and look forward to keeping you all updated!


0 comments:

Post a Comment